[wisb] Re: Horicon 10/15 - Upland Sandpiper

  • From: Nick Anich <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:17:45 -0700 (PDT)

This is probably obvious, but what this discussion calls to mind for me
(though I've been guilty of not following my own advice plenty of times), when
you know you're going birding - don't forget your camera! As an eBird reviewer,
and I'm sure the folks on the records committee can echo this, when there's
uncertainty about an ID, nothing compares to having a photo, even a fairly poor
photo. Most cameras and even phones nowadays can obtain usable digiscoped
images by holding them up to the eyepiece of the scope. When in doubt - try to
get a photo! You can always send it to people and get second opinions later.
Lots of people say, oh I'm not a photographer, but the zoom-in capability with
digital images is pretty impressive even for photos where the birds are specks
in the viewfinder, and it doesn't hurt to have a camera along. Being able to
ask other people's opinions about specific birds you found in the field that
you might be uncertain about is
 really a valuable way to learn.

Nick Anich
Ashland, WI

Subject: Re: Horicon 10/15 - Upland Sandpiper
From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon AT milwpc.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:57:02 -0500

After the discussion of the possibility of the bird found yesterday being a
Ruff, I was back at Highway 49 at dawn today and spent over two hours
scanning the shorebirds.  Many more today, and much closer in.  New ones
included Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers. I was of course hoping for another
shot at the Upland SP/Ruff candidate.  I
had one interesting candidate, in the same general area as yesterday.  In
addition to the general size/shape we described yesterday, I believe I saw a
distinct white ring around the base of the bill.  Unfortunately, the bird
rose up and flew off, not to be seen again by me.  It was bright white
underneath, but I could not get a look at the upper tail/rump pattern.  And
so it remains just an intriguing possibility. Jym Mooney, Milwaukee