[wisb] Hoary Redpoll - Bayfield County

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 20:57:22 -0700

A Hoary Redpoll was found in vicinity of the Washburn coaldock on Saturday and
I relocated the bird today amidst a small flock of Commons feeding on weeds
there. In fact, there may have been more than one Hoary but they were very
flighty and I never got the looks I wanted. But here are some documentation
shots of the one female I got decent looks at.

http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/hoary2012

We have pretty much no snow cover and the lake is open from Washburn northward,
which is unheard of for this time of year. Lingering ducks off the Washburn
coaldock included 140+ Common Goldeneye, 12 Red-breasted Mergansers, 2 Lesser
Scaup, 1 Greater Scaup, and a Bufflehead.

I also had 5 Northern Shrikes today, including an immature in my yard and 4
birds south of Ashland. Two of those were immies. One was an adult male that I
first banded back in April 2009! And the other was the bird I've mentioned
previously that represents the oldest known Northern Shrike in North America --
an adult female I first banded in March 2006 that is now at least 7 yrs 7
months old!

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady