[wisb] Hawk Watching Along Lake Michigan

  • From: vbirdman@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 22:16:03 -0400

In the morning my wife Ann and I attended the superb hawk watch event
at Forest Beach Migratory Preserve mentioned by Bill Mueller in an
earlier post.  Thanks to Bill and others for a very nice time.  We even
got to see a few raptors during our brief visit.  The location for hawk
watching here is excellent and I sincerely hope it develops into a full
time raptor migration monitoring site!

After lunch we went to Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve just east of
Grafton.  Beautiful place but doesn't have the vista Forest Beach has.
We did manage to see a couple of Peregrine Falcons, an Osprey, a
juvenile Red-tailed Hawk and an adult Bald Eagle.

Last stop for the day was Concordia University near Mequon.  Several
Merlins, a few Sharp-shinned Hawks, a Northern Harrier and another
Osprey were seen.

Wisconsin's lakefront has some very nice places for viewing migrating
raptors!

Vic Berardi
Gurnee, IL
Email: VBirdman@xxxxxxx