[wisb] HOODED WARBLER Dane County (Hoyt Park)

  • From: "Mike McDowell" <birder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[Wisb]'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:53:48 -0500

1. No sign of the KENTUCKY WARBLER at Hoyt Park today when I was there
around noon, but there was a male HOODED WARBLER (heard & seen) near the
parking lot where the playground is.

2. Yesterday I biked the entire trail system of Pheasant Branch Conservancy
and found 59 species, including:

Spotted Sandpiper
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Marsh Wren (4+, west end of the confluence ponds near Deming Way).
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Yellow Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Chipping Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Indigo Bunting
Dickcissel
Eastern Meadowlark
Baltimore Oriole

3. There has been a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW in the field across the street from
Hitters SportsPlex along Deming Way, but I didn't hear it yesterday. There
are also ORCHARD ORIOLES near the ponds along the southern tree line.

4. There are over 50 BOBOLINKS at the Middleton Municipal Airport. You can
see some of them with a spotting scope from the dead end near the Lexus
dealership on Airport Road (scope to the west).

5. A few BALTIMORE ORIOLES are still coming to my grape jelly feeder.

That's all for now!

Mike McDowell
Madison - Dane County
www.birddigiscoper.com