[wisb] H. Redpoll, Stoughton, Dane co.

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 01:50:32 -0600

 The redpolls finally made it to Stoughton. First had a single at the feeder,
then 2 later. I was running a little behind for work and almost didn't take the
binoculars.       In a birch ,just a 1/2 block from the house, was a small
group of redpolls. One seemed whiter under neath ,but I couldn't see it very
well. Checked all the others and there were a couple nice male commons. Nothing
seemed different, so I kept watching the brighter one. I got to drive pretty
close to the tree.
 From there I couldn't see any marking on the undertail coverts, except the
vent. Even the belly seemed brighter than the other redpolls. The light
markings on the back of the head were very pale. As was the side of the head.
Bill seemed okay for Hoary. Finally it moved and perched right next to a male
common. This gave me some great views and a comparison to the common. The Hoary
was a male. It had faint pink across the upper breast. Very thin lines on the
side of the breast. Upper rump was white between the wings, but I never got
full look.  Getting to compare the backs of the two was nice. The light streaks
on the Hoary were whitish and dark parts were lighter than the commons . The
wings were also noticably whiter edged. The thing I didn't do was compare the
bills. The group took flight, so off to work I went.
 Hope they stick around the area. I live at 1646 Johnson St. and the birds were
just noth of me. There are alot of birches scattered around the area, so maybe.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.