[wisb] Goose Pond WF Ibis left tonight; Harvey Rd. (Columbia Co.)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 22:06:04 -0500

I went up to Goose Pond after work today.  Lester Doyle and John Romano were on
Kampen Rd., looking at the White-faced Ibis.  Lester hadn't seen Ted's second
email, but had recognized it was a White-faced right away.  While we were
watching (and Lester was photographing), it took off and gained altitude before
heading off to the east.  It might be worth checking Schoeneberg Marsh tomorrow
if anyone is poking around up there.

We all headed over to Harvey Rd. south of DM while we still had some good
pre-sunset light.  Conditions looking east were ideal, and there were lots of
shorebirds to look at.  The large majority were LESSER YELLOWLEGS, with a few
GREATER YLs, about a half dozen SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERS, both DOWITCHERS, at
least three WILSON'S PHALAROPES (one still in basic plumage,) quite a few
PECTORAL SPs, one STILT SP, and two LEAST SANDPIPERS. Small flocks of longspurs
kept flying around and landing briefly, but everything we could pick out was a
LAPLAND.  (There was a fairly large flock flying over repeatedly at Goose Pond,
too.)  We also had AMERICAN PIPITS at both locations.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane co.