[wisb] Goose Pond - Saturday

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 22:22:37 -0500

Since the greatest number of swans I've seen together has been less than a
handful, getting up to Goose Pond on Saturday was my goal.  With family in tow,
it was nice to see a couple hundred Tundra Swans, and several times more Canada
Geese and various types of ducks.

We started on Prairie Lane, which is the east-west road on the south end of the
pond.  Relative to the pond, the road is rather elevated, which provides a good
vantage point, but not a very intimate perspective for photos.  From Goose Pond
Rd, the perspective is far better for photos.  I was enjoying the view of
several ducks I'd never seen before.... until a passing motorcycle spooked the
birds away.

On this day, I found the Canada Geese the most interesting.  I wondered where
the incoming geese were coming from as group after group of birds flew in from
the south.  While flying in over land, the geese remained in formation.  But,
as the geese flew over the water prior to landing, they broke out of
"formation" and performed an in-air twisting maneuver.  Many times, most birds
simply did a 90 degree roll.  Other times, some of the birds did and entire 180
degree flip.  Interestingly, their heads remained upright.  Does anybody know
why this is done?

Here are some photos from the day...

Tundra Swans:
============
A whole bunch o' swans:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6341953713/in/photostream/
Two down, one to go...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6341954731/in/photostream/
Two in flight:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6342700328/in/photostream/

Canada Geese:
=============
I managed to capture a couple photos of the geese in various states of an
"in-flight" roll.  Why did they do this?

Six geese in various states of a roll after breaking out of "formation":
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6341951279/in/photostream/

Three geese.  Bottom goose - normal.  Middle goose - 90 degree roll.  Upper
goose - 180 degree roll - notice how the head is right-side up, but the body is
twisted.  Why?????
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6341951511/in/photostream/

Green-Winged Teal - I think.  Poor quality
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6342699430/in/photostream/

Gadwall - I think.  Sorry for the poor quality.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/6341950531/in/photostream/

Thanks,
Tom Wright
Wales