[wisb] Re: Goose Pond & Horicon marsh

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 16:57:07 -0600

Just a couple of things to add to Daryl's post- I found that you can still
walk on the Horicon National Wildlife Refuge boardwalk up to the viewing
platform. While out there, a gentleman alerted me to a costumed figure in
the distance (wearing blue jeans and apparently a sheet over his or her
torso). This person was accompanying what appeared to be two very young
Whooping Cranes. The last I heard, the WCEP was trying to minimize human
interaction with young Whooping Cranes, so I don't know what was going on
here. They were quite far away, but they seemed too young to migrate. Maybe
these were human-raised cranes being taken out for some exercise in a
natural habitat.
Today was a good day to see Northern Harriers. I saw one along STH49, one at
the end of Ledge Road, one along CTH Z, and 3 along Main Dike Road. While
leaving Main Dike Rd. a Rusty Blackbird stopped in a sapling for a few
seconds, right next to my car.
Along the autotour, in addition to what Daryl reported, were 6 Tundra Swans
in the first pond, and from the last pullout along the road, there were 6
Tundra or Trumpeter Swans (too distant and mostly sleeping, making ID too
difficult for me).
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County