[wisb] Fox Valley Today

  • From: Stuart Malcolm <stuart.malcolm26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 00:16:00 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,
A fantastic days birding in the sun in the Fox Valley today. At Gordon Bubolz
preserve this morning, highlights were Northern Shrike, Pileated Woodpecker,
and a mixed flock of Pine Siskins and Common Redpolls (c20 of each).

From the Friendship Trail bridge in Menasha I found two Thayers Gulls, an adult
and a juvenile. These were a lifer for me, thanks for all the posts about
identifying them on here and facebook - wow the juvenile really stood out with
it's mocha colour and then proceeded to show me all it's salient features,
especially the really pale underwings when it flew.
Also here were a 2nd winter Glaucous Gull, several Black Duck and Gadwall, and
a female Green-Winged Teal. Three American Robins were in Friske Park.

At Jefferson Park there was a male Long-Tailed Duck, more Black Ducks and
several Ruddy Duck's. There are thousands of Canada Geese and Gulls around the
mouth of the Fox River here but I couldn't pick out anything unusual.

Regards,

Stuart Malcolm

Appleton