[wisb] Folloup on Crex Meadows RFI

  • From: "Carl Schwartz" <cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:04:08 -0500

Since my RFI drew a number of responses that said "let me know what you find
out," I thought it would be useful to share the two backchannel answers I
received from longtime friends who have birded there this season:

From Daryl Tessen:
The two sparrows had been seen and heard in late May at several sites.
Cranberry Bog Rd, the North Refuge Rd and by the pumphouse. I would suggest
checking at the headquarters for updates. They were very helpful for me when
I was there in late May. I tried for Yellow Rail, but struck out. None had
been reported at that time.

And from Judy Haseleu:
Mornings just at dawn always seems best. We were out there last week, but
not early, so I didn't hear the specialties. That pump house road has mostly
been best for these and other "specailties" Last year Darrel found them at a
couple other places.
We did get what to us is special, Least Bittern, at Fish Lake. I think it is
called Dunham flowage.
We did pretty well for us, 72 species in a few hours.
Three Red-necked Grebes on the big lake (Phantom) in Crex.
About mid May we came upon two Sharp-tailed Grouse dancing in the
street/gravel road about 1:30 in the afternoon.

Assuming I have any luck, I will post something from up there early next
week.

Carl Schwartz
Coordinator, Bird City Wisconsin
http://www.birdcitywisconsin.org