[wisb] Fantastic Finds at Fischer Creek

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 0:14:46 -0400

I went to Fischer Creek (along Lake Michigan in far southern Manitowoc County)
this afternoon with a member of a local historical society.  We were there to
do prep work for a video that will soon be shot dealing with the history of the
land that is now the Fischer Creek Conservation Area.  I had little thought of
birding when we arrived.  But, as soon as I got out of the car, a man
approached claiming there were pelicans on the lake below the bluff.  An
American White Pelican would be a county lifer for me -and so I grabbed the
scope and headed for the lake.  And there they were, four adult American White
Pelicans.  As I scoped them, I noticed two dark birds near-by.  Putting the
focus on them, I discovered they were scoters.  Not just one species of scoter
- but one a White-winged and the other a Black.  Scoters in summer in Wisconsin
are rare.  There are six valid summer records for the White-winged and seven
for the Black.  Then, when walking the now over grown trail that leads to the
second silo to the north, I found a female Canada Warbler by the first bridge.
It followed us for over 100 feet -all the while giving a harsh scold.  Perhaps
there were young near-by?  She was joined by an adult male Black-and-white
Warbler.  Both species are unusual in Manitowoc County in the summer season.
When we reached the overlook by the remains of the former artist studio, I
again looked out onto the lake and saw 6 Common Loons.  Common Loons do not
nest in Manitowoc County and so these were perhaps early migrants.  It was a
nice find of birds for an afternoon that was not intended to be spent with
birding.
    -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz