[wisb] Re: Extirpation

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:33:00 -0500

Hi all,
For anyone else interested in this, the other two mammals are Wolverine and
Elk.
The 7 bird species are: Carolina Parakeet
Passenger Pigeon
American Swallow-tailed Kite
American Peregrine Falcon
Whooping Crane
Long-billed Curlew
Bewick's Wren
I don't remember the story of how they left, but Mississippi Kite should
technically be on the list as well since their range once extended this far
north.
All this is per the WI DNR website:
http://dnr.wi.gov/ORG/LAND/ER/wlist/WorkingList_07_09.pdf

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me