[wisb] Re: Evening Grosbeaks in WI in winter

  • From: betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:53:48 -0500 (EST)

Related to Bill's message about Evening Grosbeaks,  I attended an art opening
yesterday at the Urban Ecology Center in Milwaukee featuring the monoprints and
accompanying collected natural history text of Landscape
Architects/Environmental Planners, Nancy Aten and Dan Collins. Landscapes:
Wild, Forgotten, Restored is the exhibit title.  One of the texts adjacent to a
Boxelder seed print was taken from a 1900 WI Bulletin of Natural History and
features reports from southern Wisconsin about large flocks of Grosbeak taking
boxelder seeds.  It's a fascinating piece, particularly in light of how few
Evening Grosbeaks I have seen here - just one last year, in the fall, seemingly
accompanying a migrating couple of Rose Breasted GRs - and the bad rep given
Boxelder trees, a member of the maple family, and a prodigious historic species
of lowlands and disturbed areas.

I encourage any and all to get a look at this wonderful exhibit by two great
habitat restorers and artists.  It's in the lower level of the UEC until....
Sorry, I don't have the closing date....

Betsy Abert, So. Milwaukee