[wisb] Estabrook Park, Milwaukee Co

  • From: Judith Huf <judith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 15:29:47 -0500

The birds today were what you would expect this time of year but the
butterflies and wild flowers were exceptional.

I was surprised by the number of butterflies (5 species: Red Admiral, American
Lady, Painted Lady, Clouded Sulphur, Cabbage White) since although it is bright
and sunny with many flowers blooming early, it is not warm, only 46F with a
cold wind off the lake.

 Lots of white Trout Lilies  and Marsh Marigold blooming and I found the
biggest most beautiful patch of Bloodroot that I've ever seen in Milwaukee
County.  It was in the most unexpected place, right on the east side of the
embankment of the old railroad (now bike path) growing under a mess of invasive
Oriental Honeysuckle. Honeysuckle is supposed to inhibit the growth of other
plants, but apparently Bloodroot is not affected.

Judith Huf