[wisb] Eider and Horicon Snowy

  • From: KTAGClimbngruv@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 00:20:15 -0500 (EST)

Me and my mom made the trip down to the art museum today to view the
Eider.  Quite a few birders to be found hunkered down out of the  wind behind a
wall of the museum.  It was around 11:00 a.m.  Found the  Eider, got great
shots of the Red Breasted Merganser, Coot and several  Horned Grebes swimming
near the walkway.  Various male and female Greater  Scaups and Common Golden
Eyes bobbing on the water.  Most had their beaks  tucked under their wing
to beat the wind.  Tried looking for the Snowy, no  luck.  Headed up to
Horicon.  Got to Dike Rd. about 2:00 p.m. Ran into  a muskrat trapper that had
seen the two Snowies early in the morning.  He  said one of the birds was
sitting along side the road for a while.  Finally  located one Snowy sitting on
top of a muskrat hut hunkered down against the  wind.  The muskrat hut was
on the edge of the lake.  It flew to  another hut just as I got out my larger
lens,  but still within binoc  viewing.  A couple of Harriers flying in the
area.  Moved to Hwy.  49.  Spotted seven Tundra Swans and a few Northern
Shovelers.  Caught  a great sunset for the end of a day with one lifer - the
Eider.

Karen Freitag/Mickie Laing
Oconomowoc