[wisb] Eau Claire area birds

  • From: Rory Cameron <rory_cameron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:05:38 -0500

Anne Geraghty and I did some late afternoon birding in and near Eau Claire.
Highlights:  Lake Altoona had Ruddy Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks, Lesser Scaup, and
American Wigeon.  En route to Truax Prairie ponds we found a Sharp-shinned
Hawk, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Dark-eyed Juncos, and Eastern Bluebirds.  At Truax
Ponds we saw the first of three Northern Harriers, two Greater Yellowlegs, two
Hooded Mergansers, and a Great-blue Heron.  At McCombs Ponds in sw Chippewa
County a second Northern Harrier appeared.  Finally, at Dummer's Ponds, south
of Elk Mound in eastern Dunn County, we found our third harrier in less than an
hour.  Also at Dummers were 123 Canada Geese, three Cackling Geese, 30
Green-winged Teal, and two Eastern Meadowlarks.

Rory CameronChippewa County

"We come and go, but the land is always here. And the people who love it and
understand it are the people who own it—for a little while."   Willa Cather