[wisb] Re: Early nesters - early fledgers

  • From: "pready tds.net" <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 06:47:54 -0500

The jays I observed were 2 adults and 3 "other" jays on a branch. The 2
adults appeared to be gleaning insects from the oaks and going to the branch
and feeding the 3 others. I assumed they were feeding young fledglings. I
thought of getting some photos of this activity but they were too high up
and the lighting pretty poor for photography. That sure looked like
fledgling feeding behavior to me. At first when I saw a jay feeding a jay I
thought courtship too. But then there were 5 jays and it looked more like a
family. Jays do socialize in small flocks but I've never seen them do this
behavior.

Pat Ready
Stoughton
Dane Co