[wisb] ECDove/MDove Hybrids

  • From: "Daryl & Sherry Christensen" <gr8fish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbird" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:34:31 -0500

I think I have one at my feeder. It sings a mixture of mourning dove/collared
dove songs and is much lighter and larger than a mourning dove, but lacks the
collar. When I was in Florida in February, both species were everywhere and
were nesting side-by-side, so as far as displacement goes, I didn't see
evidence of it there. After all, they are doves and aren't doves the symbol of
peace?
I always find it fascinating that we (who are also an exotic species to this
continent) are so eager to kill anything else (and sometimes anyone else) who
finds this country a great place to dwell?
Excuse me now, while I kill this stupid Asian beetle that's crawling on my
keyboard.
-Daryl Christensen
Marquette co., Wi

Daryl and/or Sherry Christensen
www.darylchristensen.com
www.marquettecountyguide.com

"There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds. There is
something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature - the assurance
that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter."
-Rachel Carson