[wisb] Re: Ducks' fall behavior

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 17:09:55 -0500

There's courtship, and then there's pair-bonding. I'm thinking that the
head-bobbing and other displays are "courtship". The "mating" thing just
might be pair-bonding, i.e., strengthening the bond between male and
female? Of course I'm not a duck scientist. :-)
Bernie Sloan

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thanks to Bill, Michael, Bernie, and Lisa for replying. What I am
understanding is that if I see two ducks actually mate (not just perform
head bobbing, etc, displays), it's just part of the ritual to firm up the
courtship for the spring? I knew that the female would not be laying eggs
in the fall, but was still confused about the physical mating aspect.
Thanks again,
Jennifer
Milwaukee

--