[wisb] Door County Flycatchers

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:57:42 -0500

During our recent camping stay in Door County (Peninsula SP), May 22-30, we
encountered, as usual, good numbers of flycatchers: Eastern Phoebe,
Great-crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Least Flycatcher, Alder
Flycatcher, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Olive-sided Flycatcher ... and
Eastern Wood-Pewee.

But I was struck by the fact that (1) we came across very few pewees May
22-29, and (2) I found no Alder Flycatchers at Mud Lake (May 24).  Then,
suddenly, on May 30, there was an "explosion" of pewees!  I seemed to hear
them everywhere throughout Peninsula SP; plus I heard a couple of Alders in
the Weborg Point area that same day.

It makes me wonder if pewees were a little late this spring - at least in
large numbers in Door County.  Any thoughts?

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI

PS: Once again I heard Mourning Warblers across the road from the Nature
Center in Peninsula SP.  They were also at Weborg Point one morning.  One of
the Olive-sided Flycatchers was also near the Nature Center, perched at the
top of a snag, in true OSFL fashion!