[wisb] Door County Birds

  • From: Magill Weber <magill_weber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 19:38:19 -0700

I'm enjoying being back in Wisconsin for a few days, and made up for lost time
with some marathon birding around Door County today. Overall, a great day to
see the tail end of passerine migration and the start of the waterfowl. Most
unexpected were a very late Eastern Phoebe and a palarum Palm Warbler traveling
with a flock of Yellow-rumps at White Cliff Fen this morning. (Perhaps someone
can enlighten me as to late dates and how expected western race Palms would be
at this point in migration up here.) I also had 3 Common Goldeneye at Otumba
Park in Sturgeon Bay, a couple of Hooded Mergansers also in Sturgeon Bay, and
unfortunately a successful pair of Mute Swans with this year's 4 cygnets at
Haines Town Beach in Nausawaupee Township. At Kreuter Preserve I hit another
wave of Yellow-rumps, RC Kinglets, White-throated Sparrows and a seemingly
late-ish Clay-colored Sparrow. Sandhill Cranes and Wild Turkeys were everywhere
today. I had at least 20 sandhills, mostly in family groups of 3 or pairs, and
probably more than 60 turkeys.
Magill Weber (currently at my parent's cottage near Baileys Harbor, Door Co.)