[wisb] Dodge County waterfowl

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 21:25:02 -0600

Andrea and I did a run out to eastern Dodge County this afternoon.  Our first
stop was Elmwood Road that has abundant flooded areas as the Rock River
overflows its banks this time of year.  Nice numbers here and diversity.  Three
snow geese were loafing with Canadas.  Nearby was the best spot of the day for
puddle ducks.  All the usual species were seen, minus a hoped-for blue-winged
teal.  Lake Sinissippi's southern half is open, but all we could muster were a
few dozen common mergansers.  We had hoped for possible common loons but was
not to be.  Then it was off to Eagle Road, just west of Hustisford.
Historically there was a nice field that flooded annually attracting good
numbers and variety, including all 5 geese.  Unfortunately the landowner has
altered this location to regain back the lost acreage and so it no longer
floods.  Our last stop was the junction of highways 26 and 60.  Another area
that normally floods well but currently is pretty dry.  Among the Canadas was a
single Ross's goose but not many ducks, although blacks and pintails were nice
to see.  With all the reports of Dodge/Columbia county white-fronts, oddly
enough we didn't see a single one!

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County ####################