[wisb] Dike Rd Horicon PLEASE READ

  • From: Jeffrey Bahls <jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:22:15 -0600

Dear Birding Community,
I had a conversion with the Federal Warden from Horicon NWR today.
1.) Dike Rd will be closed for the rest of the winter season.
2.) The pull -offs were put along Dike Rd for a reason... USE THEM.
3.) It is just common courtesy that if you are blocking the road and
someone comes along you move, you wouldn't park on Hwy 49 and expect
folks to go around you would you?
4.) Dike Rd is open to all users, including
birders,photographers,hunters, trappers,fisherman,hikers, biologists,
law enforcement, Remember that!  Be a good user!

I know the birds aren't always along the pull offs but remember you
are just one of many users. The warden has witnessed  folks blocking
the road and not caring about other folks including USFW staff...
These are the people who allow you to be there!  There was one person
parked in the middle of the road and had camera gear set up in the
pull-out! Others just parked their cars in the road and left them.  I
had a full sized 4wd vehicle parked in the road and had to drive
around in my little car.
WARNING  These actions will result in CITATIONS being written if continued.
  Now I trust when Dike Rd reopens folks will be respectful of each other...
Dike Rd is one of my favorite spots on this Earth, I have seen more
wildlife along this stretch than any other spot I know. PLEASE respect
it and the others that use it.
I told the Warden I would pass along his concerns to the Birding community.
Thank You

Jeff Bahls
President
Horicon Marsh Bird Club