[wisb] Dickcissels - Sheboygan County

  • From: "Dar Tiede" <crepuscular@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:02:56 -0500

Belated report from last weekend...
The last group stop on the Saturday WSO trip to the Kettle was at the Spring
Valley grasslands (SW of Greenbush).  Of course we had a grasshopper sparrow
in the grasslands, what would you expect?  After that stop I headed out for
home with my windows down and within a few hundred yards of leaving the
group I heard a dickcissel calling from the south side of the road (first
one of the day).  This was heading west on Spring Valley Drive before the
road turns north towards T/23.  Trip leader Jeff Baughman was the next to
stop as he heard one singing from the opposite side of the road.  We
eventually had good scope views of both birds as a few other birders also
made the stop.  A pleasant day in the northern Kettle Moraine and no ticks
other than those (~ 70 tics) on our checklist.

Dar Tiede
Appleton, WI