[wisb] Cuckoo comment

  • From: John Idzikowski <idzikoj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:09:58 -0500 (CDT)

I don't recall anyone adding this to the cuckoo thread but in the past there
has been anecdotal evidence of both cuckoo species being short-stopped on their
way to the Upper Midwest in late May and June by massive cyclic(?) outbreaks of
tenting caterpillars in Ohio, Illinois and Indiana where they may nest south of
their normal ranges. In these cases we are talking about areas of hundreds of
acres not just the occasional local infested few trees. I recall a large Black
Walnut in an suburban area where one may normally see only an occasional cuckoo
attracting 6 birds well into June.

John Idzikowski,
Milwaukee