[wisb] Columbia Ponds & Horicon

  • From: "Ty Baumann" <TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:02:22 -0500

We saw just about everything everyone else has already reported from
Columbia/Dane
County and Horicon Marsh.  We did wonder about the ibis at Goose Pond if it
wasn't a
White-faced.  Not good lighting but glad Ted stayed to study it.   An  extra
treat we
had at Harvey Rd. on our second trip at about 2:30 PM was a male RED-NECKED
PHALAROPE
that had joined the Wilson's.  It was a great day of birding and we did see a
female
SMITH'S LONGSPUR  on Wangsness Rd. about 10 am.   10 Shorebird species for the
area.
At Horicon we had the 3 Ibis close to the road.  The single CATTLE EGRET was on
Stumpf Rd. following the cows around.  The 2 BLACK-NECKED STILTS were on the
Main
Dike Rd.  only seen on the way back out, don't know where they were hiding on
the way
in.  We saw 1 BLACK TERN.  Total 16 shorebirds out of 85 species 23 FOY. Fun
day even
in the very blustery wind.
Ida Baumann

Green Bay, WI