[wisb] Collins Marsh, Manitowoc County

  • From: "Bob Domagalski" <rcd2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wis Birdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:29:00 -0500

11th there were numbers of Shoveler, Canvasback and Lesser Scaup among others.
As seems to be usual for this time of years, there were healthy numbers of
Ruddy Ducks.
    The best bird in the area was the American Pipit.  I have been seeing a
number of reports on pipits this fall.  I have been finding them here and there
much of the fall in Manitowoc County.  But the 11th was the best day for them.
Where County W crosses the Manitowoc River (just south of the community of
Collins), I stopped to bird.  I saw some birds in the trees some 100 yards away
and began to pish.  The birds flew in circles in the air and showed white in
the tail.  I first thought - my first juncos.  But then the birds came and
landed on the bridge next to me!  They were American Pipits.  I do not recall
seeing this species perched in trees.  There were some 18 pipits at this
location.  I then drove a short distance south on County W.  I came upon some
birds in the road.  These birds were in the fields on both sides of the road.
They were moving back and forth and sometimes landing in the road.  In short
order, they landed around my stopped car!  Again, these were pipits.  I counted
44 -- but, if I had dashed across the fields on both sides of the road, who
knows how many pipits might have been sent to flight!

    There was a Great Egret still remaining at Killsnake on the western border
of Manitowoc County.

        --  Bob Domagalski, Menomonee Falls and St. Nazianz