[wisb] Chuck-will's-widow sounds RE: Jackson County Nightjar "slam"

  • From: "Eric Howe" <wibirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 04:11:01 -0500

Jenny W., John D. Stan R. and I had a similar experience last weekend.
Various additional Chuck-will's-widow sounds may be heard in this clip:

http://youtu.be/Z3NSSvTdrk8

[Note: The softer calls may be heard by default quality just fine, but you
may wish to load the clip at 720pHD to hear it a tad better; external PC
speakers may help too.]

On this clip, ~15 wing flaps heard between time ~0:18-0:23.
At ~0:28-0:31 seconds 'click' like calls.
Between 0:33-0:47 seconds, perhaps(?), the "Growl and Cluck" calls are
heard.

As Peter F. noted, BNA Online mentions various sounds:

For the wing flapping, BNA Online describes this under "Nonvocal Sounds":
"Rare. Wing-clapping noise in flight (Harper 1938). Mengel et al. (1972:
443) reported that wing-clapping occurs while holding wings "sharply above
the body." Primaries or wrists making contact above the body could cause the
sound; often associated with calling males, territorial disputes, or
possibly courtship (Mengel et al. 1972)."

BNA Online also states:
"Growl and Cluck. Numerous call notes described with different phonetics.
Two common calls given by male and female are Growl and Cluck (Mengel and
Jenkinson 1971). Growl-and-Cluck sequence is when the 2 sounds occur
together (Cluck preceding Growl) and is common in social situations where >1
Chuck-will's-widow is present (Mengel and Jenkinson 1971). Growl is a
low-volume call."

Source: Straight, Carrie A. and Robert J. Cooper. 2000. Chuck-will's-widow
(Caprimulgus carolinensis), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole,
Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology; Retrieved from the Birds of North
America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/499

...and a very brief flyby:

http://youtu.be/evpJqmRx8-c

Eric Howe