[wisb] Chequamegon Bay Birding & Nature Festival Results

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:37:52 -0600

A record number of 315 participants tallied 177 bird species during the 4th
annual Chequamegon Bay Birding & Nature Festival
(http://www.birdandnaturefest.com/) held in Ashland and Bayfield Counties from
Fri to Sun, May 21-23.  We encountered almost no migrant flocks/waves of
warblers but had many on territories.  It was odd -- in a good way -- to have a
snow-free festival this year and the weather made for some fantastic field
trips.

Bird highlights:

20 waterfowl species, including Surf Scoter
Sharp-tailed and Spruce Grouse, the latter with help of radiotelemetry
20 shorebird species, including Amer Avocet, Willet, and Hudsonian Godwit
The late flycatchers, including Alder and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and Eastern
Wood-Pewee
7 thrush species, including Gray-cheeked
The initial wave of migrating Cedar Waxwings, marking the beginning of the end
of this year's migration
24 warbler species, including good numbers of Canadas, Black-throated Blues,
and Mournings
11 sparrows, including Le Conte's
I hope some of you can make it next year, 20-22 May 2011.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady