[wisb] Capitol Square chimney swifts

  • From: Madison Audubon Society <masoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdNet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 10:43:11 -0500

There were HUNDREDS of swifts in the air near the top of King St. at the
Square when I got here this morning. They were flying and feeding in the
rain and many were going to roost in the chimney at the rear of the
Madison Isthmus newspaper building (King/S. Pinckney).
I don't know how many had gone down before I got there, but I counted
~200 entering the chimney in just a few minutes about 9:30 a.m. Then
there was a lull as they swirled away and back and away several times.
Then between 9:40-9:48, another 150 went down. There were at least 60 in
the air yet when I left.

I've seen them go to roost in the morning like this several times over
the past several years. I presume they migrate all night, feed heavily
at daybreak, then rest for the day. What I'd like to know is whether
they roost all day (and what time they emerge and start migrating again)
or whether they emerge to feed sometime during the day then rest again.
If anyone is on that side of the Square (and getting coffee at Ancora!),
keep your eyes on that chimney for me, would you? I'm on the wrong side
of the Square to keep an eye on them.

Karen
--

Karen Etter Hale, Executive Secretary