[wisb] California Gull 7/20 NO

  • From: Seth Cutright <ferruginous.hawk82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:14:04 -0500

Hello All,

Just an update about the California Gull.  Today Bill Mueller and I
checked for the California Gull.  This was around 10:00am.  Many
Ring-billed Gulls along with a few American Herring Gulls were on the
beach, just South of the brake wall that divide WI and ILL.  I think
we spent about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or so looking at these gulls.  We
could never find the California Gull in this time.  Also the gulls
here were not very active, so even if it was found it is unlikely that
it would have flown over to WI and back again...  I would guess that
it would have sat on the beach all day, since not much of anything was
going on with the gulls.  At least today anyways.

So anyways I just wanted to update everyone that we at least did not
find the gull today.  I would guess that it is still in the area some
place, so might be worth checking still at least for a few more days.
I would also guess, that it will stay in the area for the rest of the
Summer unless some really odd weather comes up, or the flock of gulls
it has been with leaves.  So I would think it worth trying for a while
anyways, even more so if anyone is in the area and can check more so
then just one time here or there.

Updates either way (found or not) would be nice to any who do try for this bird.

Good Luck,

Seth Cutright
Ozaukee County