[wisb] Cackling Geese in Brown County

  • From: "Wayne Kuhn" <waylin98@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 10:15:19 -0600

After church I took a slow drive down Willow Road and ended up at Hwy. 29 pond.
There were about 300 Canada Geese on the frozen surface and along the banks. I
spotted one blue-morph Snow Goose as well as about a dozen Cackling Geese mixed
in. The Cackling Geese were on the ice in the southwest corner and were easy to
compare with the Canada's around them - smaller size and shorter bills. This
was at 9:45 this morning.
Yesterday I tried again for the Little Gull and BL Kittiwake but no luck - the
flock of Bonaparte's were nowhere in sight. But the Snowy Owl was in the same
spot on Kidney Island as two days before. You can easily see it from the gate
blocking the causeway. There was also an otter playing in a hole in the ice no
more than 10 yards from the gate.

Wayne Kuhn
Green Bay
Brown County