[wisb] CONNECTICUT Warbler-Waukesha County

  • From: Maureen Gross <cygnusbuccinator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Anne Moretti <amoretti@xxxxxxxxx>, WisBirdNet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:08:32 -0500

After a few days of no activity in the backyard, things got lively this
morning.  A large flock of Am. Robins were bathing and chasing each
other.  A large flock of Chipping Sparrows were mixed in with the
Robins.  Then a large flock Cedar Waxwings showed up with roughly half
the flock being immatures.  While watching the commotion, a single,
unusual bird made an appearance.  It was small and stocky with a dull
colored back and wings, no wing bars.  The complete white eye-ring was
easy to see against the dark gray head and the belly was definitely
yellow.  He sat on a piece of drift wood next to a miniature
long-needled pine for a brief time.  He then dropped down to the lower
pond and disappeared behind some tall vegetation.  Wow!  I have looked
long and hard to find this species in the past and don't find one every
year.  I certainly didn't expect to find one in Waukesha County, let
alone my backyard.  What a thrill.
I watched for another 90 minutes, but did not see it again.  Other
species joined in including a Brown Creeper, Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed
Juncos, a Northern Flicker,
a Downy Woodpecker, a Red-bellied Woodpecker, a Red-tailed Hawk, a male
House Finch, Yellow-rumped Warblers and some Am. Goldfinches.

Expect the unexpected,
Maureen Gross
Mukwonago, Waukesha County