[wisb] CBC discussion so far

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:47:42 -0600

I've been sort of biting my tongue (unusual for me, I know), because I wanted
to see where this would go on its own.  I think Andy's post in particular
summed up my feelings pretty well.  While I felt Chris did make some valid
points, I was extremely disappointed about how he expressed them.  There is
never call to attack someone just because you disagree with them (our partisan
political climate not withstanding.)

As many of you know, I usually do quite a few CBCs every year, but I came to it
late.  For whatever reason, I never did one until about five or six years ago.
It quickly became sort of addictive, and I was up to nine of them last year,
spread throughout the period.  Yes, you get some "better" birds on the counts
earlier in the period, and simple demographics account for the larger counts
having many more participants (more available people = more volunteers.)  And
yes, it is harder to get folks to commit on a Sunday (especially during
football season.)  Having the two major holidays on the weekends this year will
hurt participation, there's no question about that.  Next year will be better
(due to leap year, the holidays will be on Mon/Tues.)  And the major counts
almost are forced to pick a weekend, due to so many participants having to work
(which is my case this year - due to retirements, I'm the only one left in my
department, hence I'll be doing fewer CBCs than usual.)

I'd also like to point out that the major urban center counts NEED more
participants, since most of what you're doing is looking for bird feeders in
yards.  My Madison CBC section is much smaller than any of my other count
sections, but it's virtually all walking (usually 6-8 miles, depending on how
much help I can find.)  It seems counterintuitive to be looking for more help
on a count that has the highest participation rate in the state (I believe even
higher than Milwaukees',) but I actually need more counters this year on my
section (especially since my balky knee may preclude me from doing very much of
it.)   A rural count with very few roads and not much public land can easily be
adequately covered by 5-6 parties, although it's always preferable to have at
least two people per party.  I've been doing the Waterloo count for several
years now, and my overall numbers more than doubled when Jim "Hawkeye" Schwarz
joined me (granted, he is an exceptional spotter, but even a less-keen extra
pair of eyes can greatly increase your party efficiency.)

SO, if you're at all on the fence about doing a count, I'd urge you to try it.
You don't have to be an "expert" birder - you're probably going to be talking
about 25-30 species.  Yes, you may get some ID challenges, but that's the fun
part!  There is no penalty for not being sure about a bird or two - mark it
down with a question mark and write down some descriptive notes as best you can
(or better yet, take a photo!)  And if you're still a little intimidated, you
can often be matched up with a more experienced birder/counter who will
probably be happy to have the extra spotter along (I know I would, and I may
need a driver this year on some of my counts... backchannel me if interested
and we'll talk.)

Now, let's keep it clean, and get back to birding.  Gotta be still more
rarities out there... here's hoping the King Eider stuck around overnight.

Peter Fissel
Wisbirdn Monitor Guy & addicted CBCer
Madison WI