[wisb] Blue Grosbeak - Racine Co.

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Willard <dwillard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 17:05:29 -0500

Dave Willard and I had the pleasure of finding a BLUE GROSBEAK (probably 2nd
year male, lifer for me) on public land in Racine County this morning.  The
area, though containing an extensive trail system, is rather hard to
describe.  We accessed the spot from private property, but on Google Earth
it appears possible to walk in from the intersection of Ela Avenue and Buena
Park Road.  If anyone is very interested in seeing this bird, backchannel me
and I can give you more specific directions.
We walked for a few hours in fairly typical old field, cattail marsh, and
woodland habitat and somehow came out with 79 species.  Highlights included
two SORAS, a female ORCHARD ORIOLE, excellent views of cooperative
CANADA,WILSON'S, and MAGNOLIA WARBLERS, and among others a MOURNING
WARBLER, WOOD THRUSH, and VEERY were heard singing.  We also had nice looks
at a singing CLAY-COLORED SPARROW.

One unusual bird was a slightly aberrant AMERICAN REDSTART.  Initially, the
bird had us excited by singing the song of a Blackburnian Warbler, until we
traced the source of the song and found him.  When we saw what I think was
the same bird on the way out, it was singing a bizarre song that started
like an Ovenbird and ended like a Black-and-white Warbler.  We studied it
closely, and found the plumage to be a little strange, the normally solid
black breast was slightly streaky, the orange sides of the breast continued
all the way down the flanks, and the underparts were mostly white.  We
decided it was probably and 2nd year male who had not fully developed his
adult plumage, but the song combinations stumped us.  When we left, he was
singing a "normal" redstart song.  Dave has heard this species sing varied
songs before, but this bird seemed stranger than usual.

Yesterday I forgot to mention finding a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH and hearing a
night-singing VEERY in the woods across the street from my house.  Good
Birding!

Max Witynski,
Madison, Dane