[wisb] Bird City Wisconsin speaker available in August

  • From: "Carl Schwartz" <cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:29:19 -0500

I am working with the Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute to present a
program on Bird City Wisconsin in Ashland on Thursday Aug. 11. It will be
aimed at Ashland, Washburn and Bayfield. But it's a long drive there and
back and I would love a chance to stop and talk to other folks about Bird
City recognition during that week. So while this is relatively short notice,
if you know of any group that would like to hear from Bird City (or you had
been thinking about putting together a committee in your town or city to
discuss it anyway) now is your chance. We just updated the web site
http://www.birdcitywisconsin.org  so take a look and give me a call or shoot
me an email and let's talk about our schedules.

When an alliance of state bird conservation groups put together their plan
for Bird City Wisconsin in 2009, they modeled it after the widely-successful
Tree City USA program of community recognition. Their hope was to do for
urban bird conservation what the Arbor Day Foundation and Tree City have
done to enhance urban forestry. Now, just nine months after its first
application deadline, Bird City Wisconsin already has recognized 20
communities statewide and is reviewing applications from 13 additional ones
with an announcement planned later this summer.

Carl Schwartz
Coordinator, Bird City Wisconsin
Vice President, Wisconsin Society for Ornithology
414-416-3272
cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx