[wisb] Bigby trip to Horicon Marsh

  • From: Scott Baughman <baughman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRD <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:14:53 -0700

This past Friday morning at 5:30am I took off on my Bigby trip to Horicon
Marsh.  My brother Jeff (luckily) lives in Cambellsport, so that was my
destination for Friday.  Along the way I birded the Kettle Moraine Forest.  I
picked up 5 new birds for my Bigby list on Friday.  My 200th Bigby bird for the
year was a Dickcissel. The other 4 birds I picked up were Acadian Flycatcher,
Cerulean Warbler, Sedge Wren, Baird's Sandpiper and a Black-billed Cuckoo.
Saturday morning I left Jeff's house about 4:45am and headed to Horicon.  I
arrived at the entrance to Dike Road and immediately picked up Henslow's
Sparrow.  From there I was able to add 10 more Bigby FOY's. Black Tern, Least
Bittern, Black-necked Stilt, White-Faced Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Yellow-Headed
Blackbird, Common Moorhen, Red-Necked Phalarope, American White Pelican and
Great Egret.
     The totals for my trip were 131 species,  174.6 miles biked, 17 new birds
for the year, giving me 216 for the year.   A big thank you to my brother Jeff,
not only for giving me a place to sleep but also some advanced scouting.  He
was already on Dike Road by the time I arrived.  Also another big thanks to Tom
Schaefer, who was also on Dike Road and re-located the Red-necked Phalarope
when I arrived.  It was a fun, yet exhausting day, but well worth it.

Scott Baughman
Sheboygan