[wisb] Bigby Trip to Brooklyn Wildlife Area

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 12:27:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

I can just now walk again after a 60 mile roundtrip to Brooklyn Wildlife Area
on Friday.  I've somehow been suckered into a green big year competition by
Owen Boyle, Tim Vargo et al. Not owning a bike worth riding on major roads I
borrowed my neighbor's.  After returning it he snickered when asking me how I
liked the seat.....

My plans for starting at 3 AM were dashed when my brain decided to miss the
alarm clock.  I bounded out of bed at 6:30 AM and didn't arrive at Brooklyn
until 8:30.  On the way there I was able to pick up some roadside birds that I
needed and was totally surprised to see a Least Bittern fly up from a small
marsh just west of Oregon (Jefferson street???). It was hot and somewhat windy
so I missed some stuff.  I was able to get Pileated Woodpecker, Dickcissel,
Grasshopper Sparrow, Alder Flycatcher, Chat, Mourning Warbler and some others.
I missed Henslow's, Bobolink (hard bird in E. Dane County), Red-headed
Woodpecker and some other targets (Bell's??).

I enjoyed a nice lunch (yes it was a patty melt) in Belleville and then was
disappointed with the return trip through Lake Farm and Nine Springs (zero mud).

Now having read Scott's post I'll need to consider a bike trip to the northern
portions of the county and maybe to Mud Lake.  I'll be looking for a sponsor
and some teammates.  Maybe some folks could pass me water as I ride past?

So far the bigby has been great.  It's completely transformed my thinking about
"listing".  In years past I would have been really excited to take a run up to
the shorebird ponds to see what was up.  Now I'm more worried about where I can
bike to in my local area.  It gives you a much greater appreciation for your
local "patch" and which birds may be common in the greater county but are
really hard to find near McFarland (like Field Sparow!!)

Other lessons learned include; (a) deciding when a patty melt is not a good
choice and (b) never get into a competition with one of the Baughman boys.

Andy Paulios
McFarland, WI