[wisb] Be on the Lookout! Captive GREAT HORNED OWL stolen from Wildlife in Need Center (Oconomowoc) this weekend!

  • From: Jennifer Wenzel <miloloki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:06:37 -0600

Hi All,
I've read about this stolen Great Horned Owl from the Wildlife in Need
Center in a few places, and don't recall if it's been posted here or
not. I apologize if it's a repeat. I've copied the article here and the
link below.....please be on the lookout for a tame Great Horned Owl with
laces on his legs.

*_/PLEASE/_: /if you see or find a great horned owl with jesses (leather
straps that would be dangling from his legs), or see an owl that is
acting very friendly please contact the Wildlife in Need Center at
262-965-3090, your local humane society, or the Waukesha County
Sheriff's department who is investigating this theft./*

"The Wildlife In Need Center is a small non-profit 501c3 organization
that offers free medical care to orphaned and injured wildlife with the
intent to release back to the wild.

*Last night on November 12th, someone broke into our outdoor compound
and three of our outdoor cages. **One of the cages housed our main
animal ambassador, Dakota, a great horned owl. Dakota was taken by the
thieves.*

Dakota is 11 years old and has lived in captivity all but the beginning
of his life. Someone kidnapped him as an infant, prior to his coming
into our care. He is fully imprinted on humans and can not fend for
himself or hunt for food on his own.

Dakota has reached approximately 80,000 people in his educating career
not including those through the media via the newspapers and TV. He
appears at over 100 programs a year making an impact on girl and boy
scout troops, adult charitable organizations, schools, senior citizen
facilities and special needs groups.

Many children and adults have already planned their year end holiday
celebrations around Dakota, and his message has always been to promote
the positive things that the Wildlife In Need Center does for wildlife
and the people that live with them.

Thank you for any information or help that you can provide,
to bring Dakota back home to us."

http://wisconsinwildlifeneighbors.blogspot.com/2011/11/alert-important-please-read-asap.html

Jenny Wenzel
Caledonia