[wisb] Barred Owls Fledged

  • From: Rick Pertile <mugzy1960@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 22:36:10 -0500

Another successful year in the way of fledged barred owls from my nest box in
Sawyer county.

Sometime on Friday evening (May 27th) the first and largest barred owl chick
left the nest box.  This was exactly 29 days after the first egg hatched and I
must say this is the earliest I've ever had one leave the nest.  He had been
sitting in the entrance hole that morning and it was quite windy so perhaps it
was unintentional.  In past years they have averaged around 32-36 days before
they fledged.

The other two chicks left on Thursday June 2nd, one late that afternoon and the
other sometime between 8:00 and 10:00 p.m.  These fledglings fell within the
timeline that I've seen before in years past.

I was only able to locate one of the young birds the following morning when the
last two fledged, and it had already climbed very high into a large oak tree
about 40 ft from the nest box. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they
branch out and how difficult they are to find afterward.  3 years ago was the
only time I've ever been able to photograph them all sitting together high up
in an aspen tree.

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/6277/2357932630104648965S600x600Q85.jpg

So since I put up the box in 2002 it has been occupied 8 out of 10 years (2002
& 2004 the box was not used) and every year they have successfully raised 3
chicks with the exception of last year where they fledged 4.  That makes for a
total of 25 young barred owl fledged.  I have to say I never dreamed it would
be this successful, but must also say I've been enjoying the moment and
learning some cool things regarding their egg laying, overall behavior and more
recently menu items since I installed the camera a few years back.  Small
mammalian prey are the mainstay of their diet but frogs are also high on the
menu.  Occasionally I've seen a night crawler delivered, which at first seems
to confuse the young more than anything before one gets brave enough to slime
it down.

Regards,

Rick Pertile
Sawyer County, near Birchwood