[wisb] "Audubon's" Warbler- Crawford County

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:37:13 -0600

Hey everyone,
I found a winter "Audubon's" Yellow-rumped Warbler in Crawford County today
while running my section of the Retreat CBC.
This is the western subspecies of Yellow-rumped Warbler.  The International
Ornithological Congress (IOC) considers this to be a separate species from
"Myrtle's" Warbler (the eastern subspecies we always see here).  The AOU has a
pending proposal to split the species as well (in which case the ABA would also
split it).
I don't know if the WSO keeps records of this subspecies or not, but it's
probably a good idea to keep track of them in case they are ever split. If
split, it's likely that the AOU would divide Yellow-rumped into three species.
Myrtle's Warbler (eastern), Audubon's Warbler (western), and Goldman's Warbler
(Mexico). Goldman's is by far my favorite.

I had a total of 40 species on the Retreat CBC today including two adult Golden
Eagles.  I'll post a summary of the count as soon as I have all the results in
and tallied.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)