[wisb] Another Snowy Owl: Eau Claire

  • From: just4birds@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:57:49 -0600

Yet another Snowy Owl.

I received a 2nd hand report (from my wife, Sue, and bird photographer
Hope Rutledge <http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/birds/birds.html>) that
there was a Snowy Owl at the airport in Eau Claire this morning around
10:45. The bird was just beyond the taxi strip between the terminal
and the runway. They did not have optics but my wife said they could
see it well. It had extensive dark (almost brownish) streaking so it
was not an adult male. It was only seen for a short time before flying
off chased by crows just before a Bald Eagle flew by.

I notified other local birders but have not heard that the bird was
seen by anyone else.

My wife also reported a flock of about 20 Snow Buntings at the airport.

Bruce Steger - watching the ice increasing on Lake Wissota
Chippewa Falls