[wisb] Re: An egg quesstion

  • From: "Erdman, Thomas C" <erdmant@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'warbugs.smallwood@xxxxxxxxx'" <warbugs.smallwood@xxxxxxxxx>, "humnbrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <humnbrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:58:26 +0000

I doubt very much that birds eject eggs while flying. This story leaves a great
deal to speculation; size of egg, color of shell if any, etc,,  Fellow could
have been egged. A crow, Blue Jay or grackle could have dropped an egg they
have stolen. Very few species have eggs already, but Mourning Dove nests are
often predated early.  These avian thieves usually "hole" the egg to remove it,
and I ponder if what's left could leave a splat. I suspect by the fact that it
was noticed it had to be a larger egg.  (Again being egged is the answer.)  Now
there have been a few records where an egg can adhere to feathers on the
incubating female and may be drawn out of the nest.  This usually means an egg
has already cracked and leaked.  Very rare indeed.  We need more evidence!!

Tom Erdman
Green Bay