[wisb] All Red Hummingbird

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:03:48 -0500

My wife had a business associate send me two images of a Hummingbird
that is completely cardinal red.

I was dumbfounded at first because there are no all-red hummers.  In
questioning the photographer she noted it definitely flew and acted like
a hummer.  She said in size and shape it was much like a Ruby-throated
and that it hovered.  So how does a Hummingbird lose the refractive, and
otherwise dark feathering, and have it replaced with red?  I suspect a
dye found in a homemade batch of nectar or perhaps a non-native plant.
But, how would the red show through and be so bright?

Anyone hear of red hummers?  I have the film based images that I may try
to re-image and post.

Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point,
Portage Co., WI