[wisb] "Albino" Hummingbird Follow Up

  • From: "Paul C." <badgerbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:46:59 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the emails and info on the albino hummingbird. I've learned a lot,
including that there is a Sphinx Moth that can look a lot like a hummingbird.
Search that if you don't know what they look like. It's amazing! I also found
some amazing photos on the web of "albino" hummingbirds, so search that if you
are interested.
I found the bird again yesterday evening after pulling up a chair and hanging
out in the backyard for about an hour and tried for photos, but it was about
7:50 p.m. and too dark for my camera. I saw it again this morning when I took a
look out the window into the backyard, but I wasn't ready for a photo.

From the emails I've gotten, the bird appears to be leucistic as opposed to an
albino as the eyes are dark colored. Pretty much the entire rest of the bird is
white.

Again, thanks for the info.

Paul Capobianco
Madison