[wisb] Re: Add photos to your eBird checklists!

  • From: Nick Anich <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:21:23 -0800 (PST)

I just wanted to follow up with a few additional points about photo embedding.

To be clear, you are not attaching a photo directly from your computer to the
checklist -- you are uploading the photo to somewhere on the internet, and then
embedding the internet link into the checklist.

So, if you don't post bird pictures on the internet, this feature might get you
to start. We like to encourage use of the Wisconsin eBird flickr pool as a
central repository to document and share rare bird pictures, and this new
feature compliments use of the pool:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/wisconsinebird/pool/

But your photos don't have to be rare to be included in a checklist. Photo
embedding is a really fun way to spruce up your checklist and it's fun to look
back on great birding days and fun sightings.

If you haven't seen the checklists linked in the article, check out this
ridiculous checklist from Jeremiah Trimble with photos of 6 species of
albatross!

And here's one I made myself from Hawaii this January:

(Note that my photos aren't off of flickr, they are off of my pbase.com
account. If you do host bird photos on another site, you can email Owen or
myself to help you set up photo embedding if it's not working right for you.)

You may have noticed this checklist view is the same view you get when you surf
around and explore data on the eBird maps and click on the location points.  As
more people use this feature, you'll be able to often click through from maps
and see photos associated with these sightings.

Nick Anich
Ashland, WI