[wisb] Adams Co. Bohemian Waxwing

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 20:36:05 -0600

As Jym and Quentin mentioned, David la Puma and I had a single Bohemian Waxwing
in with a large flock of Cedar WWs in our section of the Friendship CBC today.
The flock (along with a few Am. Robins and other birds) was at a culvert on
10th Ave., about 3/4 of a mile south of County M (this is about a mile
southeast of Adams.)  There was some open water in the stream and lots of
buckthorn berries to draw the birds.

Other highlights in our section were a Brown Creeper (blind luck - I saw it fly
across the street and land on a tree,) five Tufted Titmice, a Northern Shrike,
only one flock of House Sparrows, and only two Starlings!  We missed Turkeys,
GC Kinglets,  Ravens, and Red-headed Woodpeckers, all of which are semi-regular
in that section of the count.  And, as has been the case with nearly all of the
CBCs I did this season, no field birds (although we did have some distant
candidates for Horned Lark or Lapland Longspur way out in a field - they may
actually have been just outside the circle, so I decided not to attempt scoping
due to the brutal wind.

Many thanks to David for being my "chauffeur" today - I may actually be able to
walk the rest of the week now... (oh, and he's a fine guy and birder, as well -
ask him to do his Barred Owl when you meet him...)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI