[wisb] ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD & Whooping Crane

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 12:00:24 -0600

I enjoyed watching the female Anna's Hummingbird at the Klein residence in
Waterloo early this morning. The bird, from what they said, usually shows up
about once an hour. Cynthia did an excellent job in banding it. I just talked
with Kristin and it has been returning to another feeder since we left about
once an hour. Their place is very easy to find in Waterloo. Be certain to
contact them for directions at kleinsfour1989@xxxxxxxxx
On the way back home to do some much needed yard work, I stopped at Horicon
Marsh. The Auto Tour and 49 were both quiet with standard birds present. The
boardwalk pond is being drawn down rapidly, creating good shorebird habitat but
none there today.

Coming up on Cty I south of 49 (less than a mile) a Whooping Crane was feeding
with Sandhills on the east side of the road in an adjacent field.

Also a Pectoral Sandpiper was at the Shady Lane pond.

Good luck with the hummer.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI