[wisb] ALERT: Mississippi Kite - Horicon

  • From: <jmotquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 2:51:04 +0000

This morning Jon and I found a juvenile Mississippi kite on Ledge Road just
south of the east end of Old Marsh Road.  It's falcon-like wings and flight
pattern was rather labored compared with a Cooper's. We were able to get good
looks at the reddish streaking on the breast, the predominantly black
primaries, and the black and white banding on the tail.  The bird quickly flew
northwest and out of sight. This was a lifer for me, and a state bird for Jon.
Good luck to anyone heading to Horicon tomorrow.

Anne Motquin
Freedom, Outagamie.