[wisb] Re: A Jaegerfest appetizer...

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:50:07 -0500

As Peter relayed on Saturday, the Duluth-Superior area was fairly active
this past weekend, and hopefully this will bode well for our WSO
"Jaegerfest" weekend -- which begins on Friday and runs until sometime
Sunday morning.  Although the forecast doesn't seem to indicate that a big
cold front will be in store for this week, there will apparently be a modest
cooldown by Thursday or Friday (with highs in the mid 60s), but with a fair
amount of sun until Sunday.  As we have learned, however, the temperature
along the Lake Superior shore might be somewhat chillier.

Most participants typically arrive sometime on Friday, but some will be
birding on Wisconsin Point beginning as early as tomorrow or Wednesday.  We
have had very good success with finding jaegers on this outing, with some
years being spectacular -- which is why we coined this event "Jaegerfest".
We also typically find a nice variety of gulls, with Sabine's being one of
the most highly sought.  We have found them pretty much every year, and one
year we had several flocks that totalled at least 30 birds!!  Arctic Terns
have also been found on several occasions, as have Pacific Loons and an
assortment of other rarities.  This is generally a reliable time/place to
find Harris's Sparrows, as well as a variety of other sparrows, warblers,
shorebirds, etc.

One thing to keep in mind about this trip is that anything may be possible
weather-wise, so it would be prudent to be prepared.  We have had very warm
days, when shorts and t-shirts are fine, but we have also had very cold
mornings, with frost on the ground and cold winds blowing of Lake
Superior -- so having a hat, gloves and a warm winter parka would be
recommended. (You can always leave them in the car.)  Although the forecast
looks pretty good for now, wet weather is always a possibility, so make sure
you bring a rainsuit and protection for your optics. One suggestion would be
to bring some stiff plastic sheeting and rubber bands so you can cover your
scope.  We have birded in all weather on Wisconsin Point -- except for
during heavy downpours or lightning storms.

Be sure to bring a cooler and lots of food, as most people stay on the Point
for most of the day on Friday and Saturday.  We are planning to arrange for
a porta-potty again this year, so I will be happy to receive/collect any
donations to help cover the rental, so WSO doesn't have to pay for this.
Also bring along your family-band radio(s), as this will be a popular and
useful means of communication.  I will have a few extras on hand to loan
out.  We use Motorolas radios on channel 11 and sub-channel 22 for these
birding events, and they have proven very helpful for reporting bird
sightings.

As always, there is NOT a requirement to be a WSO member to attend this
outing.  Anyone is welcome.  Just show up on the Point anytime after 7 AM on
any of those three days and join in the fun!  This year will mark the 11th
anniversary of this annual event.

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake